This recipe comes to you a few days late as we missed Flashback Friday on the blog last week. I promise we weren’t slacking! We were “in the field,” so to speak, taking pictures and working on a future post that will highlight some of the really cool things happening in Richmond that will make all of us proud!
Speaking of cool things going on — The Farm Table is excited to announce that we are expanding to the Hampton Roads area! If you have family and friends that would enjoy receiving a Farm Table box as much as you do, or if you know anyone who might want to become part of our team, please share this with them and contact firstname.lastname@example.org. More details coming soon!
We are also having a lot of fun with our Pop-up Markets. Our next market, this Saturday, June 8 from 12:00-4:00pm, will be at Blue Bee Cider in the Manchester District. We will have fresh local produce, Harvest Hill Farms meats, Quail Cove Cheese and freshly baked goodies from Flour Garden Bakery. Blue Bee Cider will be open for your tasting pleasure from 12-6. Please join us! Details HERE.
Until then, please try this Bok Choy Stir Fry from our May, 2012 newsletter, which features broccoli, snow peas, peppers, and chicken (optional). It is very important to do all of the prep work for this meal before you start cooking, as stir frying relies on being able to move and cook food quickly in a very hot pan. Also, it may seem labor intensive, but once you’ve prepped the vegetables, it cooks very quickly. Delicious!
Bok Choy Stir Fry
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cut into strips and lightly dusted with corn starch
- 1 small onion, halved/thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2-3 cloves sliced garlic
- 1 cup snow peas (optional)
- Peanut oil for frying
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/3 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups broccoli florets (separated into medium pieces) and stems (sliced thin), keep them separate
- 1/2 Tbs finely minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup red or green pepper, sliced thin
- 1 head of bok choy, sliced into thick ribbons
- 4 Tbs Hoisin sauce
- Preheat a wok or large, deep, frying pan with a heavy bottom over medium-high heat. Coat with peanut oil.
- Add the chicken and cook 2-3 minutes, making sure to cook on all sides. Remove chicken to a bowl, or push aside.
- Add the onions, celery, broccoli stems, red/green pepper, ginger and garlic and, stirring continuously until onions become translucent, and veggies start to soften. Add more peanut oil if needed (you need to keep the food moving).
- Add the broccoli florets, snow peas, bok choy. Keep stirring!
- After about 5 minutes, add 2 Tbs soy sauce, a pinch of salt and pepper, Hoisin sauce, and the cornstarch/broth mixture. Add the Chicken back to the mixture.
- Stir for about 3-5 minutes and allow the mixture to thicken.
- Serve immediately over cooked rice.